Heritage recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, with regular review points. We will encourage customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
Policy Aims – We will endeavour to:
- Comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- Increase employee awareness and training.
- Reduce our carbon footprint.
- Endeavour to employ locally to reduce the need for travel.
- Consideration for local residents, schools, hospitals and businesses.
Energy and Water
- We will seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- Lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use.
- Heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing.
- We will reduce the need to travel, restricting to necessity trips only.
- We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- We will make additional efforts to accommodate the needs of employees using public transport or bicycles by providing facilities and opportunities.
- When hiring we will strive to use energy efficient and rated plant and equipment.
- When replacing plant and equipment we will target vehicle purchase to those with greater energy saving consumption levels, we will use the ‘green’ vehicles and maintain them rigorously.
- Program works to maximise the amount of vehicle share and minimise the quantity of vehicles to be used.
- Reduce noise nuisance by switching of plant and machinery when not in use.
- We will reduce waste by quantifying via effective ordering only the materials required for the specific job.
- We will reduce our carbon foot print in line with our suppliers by ordering in bulk quantities where applicable to reduce road haulage.
- We will work with our existing suppliers and identify new suppliers closer to the point of delivery.
- We will where applicable re use materials either in their present form or as recycled products for alternative use.
- We will look to set and achieve year on year improvements in waste reductions via site waste management plans.
- We will notify and train our operatives in the understanding of environmental impact issues.
- Where possible we will endeavour to pre fabricate off site to reduce on site waste occurring.
- We will work closely with our suppliers to source renewable and sustainable materials.
- Waste will be separated into associated categories for recycling, re-use to minimise the amount of land fill products.
- We will work closely with our clients to seek alternative ways of working, methods of construction and materials.
- We will minimise the amount of yard stock items with deliveries direct to site thus avoiding the need for dual trips and the potential for damage and waste in the yard.
- We will evaluate if the need can be met in another way.
- We will evaluate if renting/sharing is an option before purchasing equipment.
- We will evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
- We will seek to buy more environmentally friendly and efficient products.
- We will reuse and recycle everything we are able to.
- We will minimise the use of paper in the office.
- We will reduce packaging as much as possible.
- We will seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products.
- We will reuse and recycle all paper where possible.
Maintenance and Cleaning
- We will comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- We will continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- We will continually improve and reduce environmental impacts through dust, noise and nuisance.
- We will incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- We will Increase employee awareness through training.
Monitoring and Improvement
- Cleaning materials will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- Materials used in office refurbishment will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- We will only use licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste.
- We will involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- We will update this policy at least annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- We will provide staff with relevant environmental training.
- We will work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.
- We will implement our policy on customer care and how this links into environmental impact.